IRS Form 1040EZ: Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers with No Dependents was the shortened rendition of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1040. This form was for taxpayers with essential tax circumstances and offered a quick and simple method for documenting income taxes. The form was stopped as of the 2018 tax year in favor of the upgraded Form 1040.
look at a glance
—Form 1040EZ was a shortened variant of Form 1040 for taxpayers with essential tax circumstances.
—The form was suspended as of the 2018 tax year and supplanted with the updated Form 1040.
Who Can File Form 1040EZ: Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers with No Dependents?
To utilize the form, a taxpayer needed to have taxable income of under $100,000, under $1,500 of interest income, and guarantee no dependents. Different prerequisites for recording the Form 1040EZ included:
• The taxpayer and their companion, whenever wedded recording jointly, must be under age 65 toward the finish of the applicable documenting time frame.
• They couldn’t be visually impaired as of the finish of the significant documenting time frame.
• The filer could make no allowances for educational loan interest, educator costs, educational costs and charges, and or organized derivations.
• In the event that the filer got interest income, they could never have been expected to record Schedule B, didn’t have sums in boxes 11, 12, or 13 of Form 1099-INT or boxes 6 and 10 of Form 1099-OID, and earned no interest as a nominee.
• Tax credits for retirement reserve funds, wellbeing inclusion, and training were not permitted.
• The tax filer could never have gotten any advance earned income credit (EIC), despite the fact that they would have been permitted to guarantee the EIC while documenting Form 1040EZ.
• The filer couldn’t be a debtor in any Chapter 11 liquidation case that was recorded after October 16, 2005.
• The filer, their mate, whenever wedded documenting jointly, or any of their dependents for which they asserted the individual exception got no advance installments of the superior tax credit offered for wellbeing inclusion plans sold on the Marketplace.
• The filer owes no family representative taxes on compensation paid to family workers.
For most people, the 1040EZ was the first tax form they at any point finished. Consider a common secondary school understudy utilized part-time. Given they met the income capabilities, the 1040EZ will probably be the most straightforward and suitable form to record.
Difference between Form 1040EZ and Form 1040
Form 1040EZ had a couple of credits or derivations accessible to taxpayers. Filers had the option to incorporate an earned income credit (EIC) and choose nontaxable battle pay.
For most tax years, Form 1040 had 80% more lines than form 1040EZ. One tremendous distinction was that Form 1040 had fields to incorporate information about dependents, while 1040EZ didn’t permit people to guarantee dependents. Like the standard form, the EZ variant had segments to record wages, compensations and tips, and taxable interest under $1,500. The filer was likewise ready to incorporate joblessness remuneration installments.
Form 1040EZ permitted filers to guarantee income from compensation, tips, pay rates, taxable awards or grants, the Alaska Permanent Fund, and joblessness remuneration. Form 1040, however,
had no less than 16 income categories. Categories accessible on the standard form included profit installments, retirement account appropriations, and homestead and rental income. Form 1040 additionally permitted the passage of Social Security advantages, divorce settlement, and different forms of income.
This form likewise had a considerable rundown of derivations, going from training expenses for medical care investment funds plan commitments.